I'm in New York City for work.
It's just about 1pm on October 14th.
A Coworker and I were talking about what I should do for dinner.
I was inclined to go to Ten Bells (a natural wine place. Natural wines mean the winemaker does not tamper with the yeasts during fermentation, etc. It’s about as “organic” as you can get with wine).
my Coworker says “have you heard about Eataly?”
So I google it, and I’m checking it out,
And Lo and behold… Jancis Robinson is doing a Book signing and Brunello tasting at Eataly.
“Just for one night, Eataly’s rooftop restaurant, La Birreria, will be host to more than 30 of Italy’s best producers of the much-lauded 2010 vintage of Brunello, hand-picked by the Companion’s editor Jancis Robinson, “the most respected wine critic and journalist in the world” (Decanter Magazine), and Walter Speller, Italian specialist of JancisRobinson.com, both of whom will be in attendance on this special evening.The special price of the ticket event includes:
· a signed copy of The Oxford Companion to Wine and the possibility of have your copy personalized by Jancis Robinson and Walter Speller in person!
· presentations by Jancis Robinson and the President of Consorzio del Brunello di Montalcino, Fabrizio Bindocci
· a tasting of an incredible assortment more than 30+ Brunello di Montalcino wines
· an array of special appetizers prepared by Eataly just for this event
· a special wine glass designed and provided by Italian manufacturer Bormioli Rocco
· a tasting booklet curated by the Consorzio del Brunello di Montalcino"
So I clear it with my hubby. Just because it isn’t cheap. I mean it’s cheap considering the cost of the book, and the fact that most of these wines we were tasting were well over $200 a bottle…. And don’t worry NO I didn’t try all 30, that would be insane! Ha ha.
The hubby is like “yeah you should go”
So I get there, I’m having a blast.
The I find an EXTRA ticket under a napkin. You had to have a ticket to get the book.
So I got TWO books signed,
and one I had personalized to say Happy Birthday to my dear friend Valerie (as her birthday is soon).
And I met a couple, the gentleman has a rooftop vineyard in Brooklyn and Jancis was coming to visit him and do a piece in the NY Times. I gave him a TWITs card, and he gave me his card, and one of these days I need to set up a visit. Oh goodness!
OMG I could not be more tickled.
And this all happened because my coworker recommended Eataly. Serendipitous!