Nero d'Avola - June 10, 2009 - Hostess: Ms Shannon
Wikipedia: About Nero d'Avola. Red Wine.
Food Pairings: Lamb, pizza, pasta, red meat, swordfish, spicy, eggplant, dark chocolate
Wine Info: means "black of Avola" , Sicily, Avola is far south Sicily, compared to shiraz, contributes to Marsala wine. plummy/cherry/raspberry, spice, and smoke, able to age, but good young also, treated like Syrah, clean finish, vine likes hot arid climates, most popular in Sicily.
Abbie's Tasting Notes:
1) 2007 Cusumano Nero d'Avola $14.99 @ Total Wine
bright maroon color, ruby, tart grapy, cherry flavor, clean finish, subtle smoky scent
2) 2006 Regaleali Nero d'Avola $14.99 @ Whole Foods
spicy, dark garnet, smells cheesy, nice long legs
3) same as #1 but different lot number - $14.99 @ Jay's Beverage (on Holcomb Bridge Rd)
ruby, garnet, tart cherry, almost too tart, dry cloves, others smell bacon?
4) same as #1 (different lot than #3, but same lot as #1) - $14.99 Whole Foods
no smell, dark ruby garnet
5) 2007 Ruggero di Tasso Nero d'Avola $5.99 @ Trader Joes - FAVE
buttery yet tart, candy, cherry licorice smell, good plum, dry, sensual flavor, lingers, smooth, yet fruity, goes VERY well with dark chocolate, Jammy!
6) 2007 Premio Nero d'Avola $8.99 @ Old Milton Package
flowery, clovers, star lily smell, dark red color, good!
7) 2007 Colosi Nero d'Avola $16.99 @ Total Wine
stanky, poo-ish smelling, spicy, dry, weird wine!
8) same as #5 (same lot number also)
smells like bing cherry, acidity, nice flavor at first, then dies off